Friday, November 8, 2013

Couch to 5K, Week 1 Day 2



Well, I just finished my second day of training.  I wasn't able to get my run in this morning, because I slept in and I began babysitting around 8 o'clock this morning until a little after four late this afternoon.  But, I was very excited to begin my second day.

During the warm-up and initial run, I was feeling motivated but once I had to increase the pace I wanted to quit.  My legs felt weak, my breathing became heavy and my heart was racing.  I thought to myself, "this didn't happen yesterday".  "Yesterday felt great".  I began having doubts on whether I could even finish Day 2 which wasn't any different than yesterday.  It consisted of 5 minute walking warm-up, 60 secs of running, and 90 seconds of brisk walking, and alternating that for 20 minutes, with the last 5 minutes being the cool down.  Piece of cake, right!?  Yeah, I thought so yesterday, but I have to say, I had to push through and motivate myself to continue.

This is the hard part of starting an exercise regimen.  I guess anyone could relate to this  But for me it's frustrating because I never had to struggle to get through a 30 minute workout.  My body lost so much muscle during my days, months, etc in isolation, at home or in the hospital, that it takes more energy, spirit, and motivation to get through it.  Add on top of that my diminished lung capacity as a result of my stem-cell transplant and an overactive heart rate due to the chemo and transplant, it takes some getting used to and adjusting.

But, I am happy to say, I fought through it.  I didn't give up.  I pushed through the work out and completed it.  I know that as time goes on, I will begin to rebuild what I lost.  I may have a few more health barriers than I did before cancer, but it doesn't mean that I can give up.

I just keep telling myself..."I'm doing this for me, I'm doing this for all those fighting their fight and I'm going to keep rocking on". \m/

Image Source: http://seasonitalready.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/couch_to_5kpic.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment