Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Celebrate???



Well, it’s official; I got my bone marrow biopsy results today.  My doctor states I’m still in remission and I have 100% donor cells (which is a good thing)!!!  My appointment began with the physician assistant reviewing my results and explained more in depth what all the numbers mean, etc.  All I heard was this number is on the lower side and this other number is higher than normal.  The “higher than normal” part scared me because that was the red flag that told us something was wrong three years ago.  But both the physician assistant and the doctor stated that all is well and assured me that I’m still in remission.

I am very happy about this don’t get me wrong.  I’m not afraid to live and embrace life but why do I not feel the need to celebrate.  I have experienced beating leukemia the first time and I celebrated that remission.  I was living and loving life, than I relapsed.  The relapse changed me.  Even though everything was looking good, the relapse is preventing me now from fully celebrating this two-year remission.  That initial relapse has kept things in perspective for me.  It tells me that just because everything is looking good and feeling good, it can all be taken away in a second.  I think it has kept me more grounded and realistic.

During my first bout and treatment with leukemia , the doctors were saying how well I was doing and how quickly my body was healing and recovering my from chemo treatments.  They kept telling me how great everything was and when I made it to that year mark of being in remission, I was told that my chances of relapse were significantly low.  Well, I was that small percentage that relapsed.  So here I am today, being told the same things.  Being told how well I’m doing, how my body is going to take its time in recovering.  So, after hearing all the same things that were stated to me before, yes, I’m a little hesitate to celebrate. 

I guess how I am looking at things now, I see myself as already celebrating.  I’m enjoying this 3rd chance of life.  I’m embracing life.  I’m embracing me.  And by embracing all that is being given to me, now is my form of celebration.  I don’t want to label this “celebration” to just this day or to this biopsy or appointment.  I am already celebrating by being able to live and breathe each day with my husband and children, family and friends.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, your write REALLY well & its very informative. I will keep watch. Wishing you the best, may you stay cancer free FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am glad that you have found my blogs informative. One of the main reasons I began this blog was to educate others about what one person has experienced with stem-cell transplant and I hope that it helps others who have also experienced it or will be going through it someday.

      If you have anything to offer, please comment on this entry or the other entries. Thank you for your support!!!

      Delete
  2. Deanna, I just joined the mail site today although I have already had my SCT as of 4/26/12. I had an auto-immune disease called CIDP (cousin to MS) and went to Chicago for an SCT trial. I was the 30th person to have this for my disease. Dr Richard Burt does SCTs for over 20 different auto-immune diseases using our body's own stem cells! We liken it to "alt/control/delete" of resetting your body of disease like you would reboot your computer after you have cleaned out a virus! I will read more of your blog and if you would like to read mine, it is here: http://wendyssct.blogspot.com
    You will discover my faith is a very important part of my whole process and He worked a lot in my story! God bless you and I hope you continue to do well!
    Wendy (wegrow4him@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete